Activities in Iquitos city
The city of Iquitos is located in the northeast of the northern Amazon in Peru. It developed in the rubber age (end of the 19th century) and now has a population of approximately 800.000 to 1.000.000 inhabitants. Linked to the outside world by air and by river, it´s the world´s largest city that cannot be reached by road.
It has lots of historical buildings and beautiful attractions, like:
- La Casa de Fierro (the Iron House, designed by Gustave Eiffel, of the Eiffel Tower)
- Belen (the floating market)
- Museums (indigenous cultures and history of Iquitos)
- The Manati Rescue Centre (rescue centre for seacows)
- Quistococha National Park (lake and small zoo)
- Alpahuayo Mishana Reserve (nature reserve)
- Poisonous snakes farm (breeding programme for snakes)
Activities around Iquitos
Around Iquitos there are also many things to do and see, like:
- Monkey Island (an island in the middle of the Amazon river where you can observe different species of monkeys)
- Butterfly farm (breeding programme for butterflies and animal rescue)
- Anaconda farm (breeding programme for anacondas and animal rescue)
- Alligator and Paiche (fish) farm
- Communities of Boras and Yahuas (natives)
- Union of three rivers (the Ucayali, Marañon and Amazon), where the Amazon river is born
- Observation of pink and grey dolphins
The above mentioned activities in or around Iquitos are full day activities.
We can coordinate an itinerary that encompasses all the activities you have interest in while you are here in Iquitos.